Our client is a well-established leading law firm in the Toledo area that specializes in personal injury, mass torts, and product liability cases. They have been serving clients in Ohio and Michigan for 20+ years. With a strong commitment to outstanding client service, they value hard work, integrity, adaptability, and accountability. The culture of the firm focuses on doing the right thing, giving back to the community, and helping people.
The Chief Financial Officer/Chief Administrative Officer is a newly created role. They will run the business of the law firm, managing all administrative and strategic finance functions. The CFO/CAO will use data and information to help inform leadership’s decision-making in many areas including marketing, case selection, and resource planning. The owner is looking for an executive leader to take over the running of the firm, help optimize a sustainable business model, implement firm policies and procedures, and be a partner in strategic planning. As a member of the leadership team, they will contribute to strategy discussions, provide financial insights to support decision-making and lead the team to achieve excellence. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on an already successful organization.
This position reports to the Managing Attorney/Owner and has two direct reports.
The CFO/CAO will be responsible for managing the firm’s financial strategies and operations as well as overseeing the day-to-day operational functions of the firm, ensuring that the administration runs smoothly. They will help create and execute the strategic vision and business plan for the firm. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to build confident, aligned, and motivated teams that are focused on executing both short- and long-term “big picture” goals and objectives. The role requires a blend of managerial, financial, operational, and strategic skills.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Have a deep understanding of the day-to-day operations and maintain a pulse on the health of the organization. Be aware of and provide solutions for any issues with personnel, operations, or clients.
- Help create and implement new initiatives and KPIs that are metrics-driven.
- Provide consultative financial support, analysis, insights, and advice in a manner that assures business decisions are made with timely, accurate, and relevant information.
- Communicate the leadership’s ideas to the rest of the team and ensure everyone understands and is on board.
- Develop and execute the firm’s financial strategy, ensuring alignment with its overall objectives and business plans.
- Identify opportunities to improve the firm’s operational efficiency by optimizing systems, processes, and procedures.
- Maintain and improve the integrity of financial practices, and oversee relationships with financial institutions, auditors, and CPAs.
- Lead and mentor the team, providing direction, setting expectations, and developing talent within the firm.
- Act as a liaison between departments to ensure clear and consistent communication across the firm.
- Set clear expectations for responsibilities and conduct.
- Ensure that everyone in the organization is held accountable and that they are fulfilling their roles and responsibilities. If issues or roadblocks arise, work to find solutions.
- Set, evaluate, and inspire individual and team goals to promote a results-driven culture.
- Help to develop the workplace culture.
- Foster open lines of communication between staff and legal professionals within the firm. Address any issues or concerns and ensure that the teams align with the firm’s vision and values.
- Ensure that all parts of the organization work together cohesively.
- At least five years’ experience running the administration and finance of a professional services firm.
- Emotional intelligence, interpersonal skills, and a professional demeanor.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Conflict management skills.
- Goal-oriented and driven.
- Acts with kindness, compassion, and respect.
- Entrepreneurial Operating System experience is a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. An MBA or equivalent degree is desired.
All inquiries should be emailed to: