Our client is a rapidly growing privately held specialty trade contractor serving the residential and commercial market space. Headquartered in Michigan, the company has built a reputation based on quality and service. This is an entrepreneurial environment with a high performing culture committed to integrity, excellence, service and simply solving problems.
The VP of Finance and Administration will be an active collaborator by providing consultative support to devise strategies and policies to meet the companies’ organizational objectives and goals. The position will be responsible for the companies’ financial reporting, processes, controls, insurance, and regulatory compliance matters including accounting, billing, banking, taxation, auditing, budgeting, forecasting, and variance analyses including firm profitability analyses. This person will set departmental vision and direction for attracting, engaging, developing, retaining, and embedding a talent-focused and continuous improvement mindset through the company culture. It is essential for this position to establish and build credibility amongst a well-established, dedicated, and loyal team. Leading by example with personal integrity, teamwork, and transparency the Vice President of Finance and Administration will motivate and positively influence the entire organization. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment with a drive to “win” attitude.
This position reports to the Owners with 1 direct report
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the company’s mission and will actively participate both strategically and tactically in the company. This leader must be highly knowledgeable in implementing software, continuous refinement of the accounts receivable and accounts payable system that streamlines efficiencies. Further, this includes the management of internal and external relationships as necessary to assure compliance with regulatory and company standards. A strong communicator and skilled financial manager, they will produce thorough financial-status reports for ownership to help improve operational efficiency and aid in continued optimization. As a value-added partner to the internal team(s), this leader will help elevate the business to the next level with a coach/mentor attitude. Additionally, this role will provide appropriate analysis, insights, and advice to the owners in a manner that assures good business decisions are made with timely, accurate, and relevant information.
The VP of F&A will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting and FP&A management of the company. They will partner with ownership to provide support on planning initiatives through meaningful financial information planning and analysis.
- Works with the ownership in the development of financial planning, budgets, and business models to determine prospective cost effectiveness and ROI.
- Develop, implement, and execute aggressive but realistic annual plans targeted to increase accounting and finance efficiencies.
- Manage, streamline, and negotiate the insurance, regulatory, and compliance components of the business.
- Lead the day-to-day financial operations by reporting on and managing the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes. Works closely with the sales team to ensure timely delivery of invoices.
- Collaborate with the company’s management in the development and implementation of plans for the financial & operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and organizational development/design to accommodate the performance objectives of the company.
- Streamline current accounting and office operations and systems and offer recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes, i.e., automated billing process.
- Compile and analyze financial reporting packages, prepare monthly and annual operating budgets, consolidate statements, reconcile balance sheets, and ensure timely and accurate reporting of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Train Accounting and Finance staff in raising awareness and knowledge of accounting and financial matters.
- Manages, develops, and implements finance, accounting, billing, financial controls, document trails, and auditing procedures.
- Develops and ensures timely and accurate reporting of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Analyzes cash flow, cost controls and expenses to guide business leaders along with analyzing financial statements.
Leadership and Management:
- Supreme diplomat to provide overall executive leadership for all aspects of finance and operations.
- Impeccable integrity and ethics.
- Honest, direct, dependable, authentic, and trustworthy. Flexible and adaptable, collaborates comfortably with individuals and teams.
- Proven ability to influence with an approachable style that inspires confidence and empowerment.
- High degree of communication ensuring the management team is fully informed of operational objectives.
- MUST HAVE experience working for a privately held or family business.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in senior-level finance or accounting positions.
- Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and financial management with vendors and customers.
- Proven ability in finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including GAAP.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- An open, honest, and respectful communication style tailored to varied audiences.
- Displays stamina, sense of urgency, is a creative problem-solver and is committed to personal growth and development for themself and others.
- Proven ability to demonstrate the highest level of integrity with impeccable analytic and organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt, prioritize and react quickly to changes; self-motivated, self-directed, and thick-skinned.
- Team player with a sense of humor.
- Overachiever; passionate and high energy with laser focus on execution and results.
- Active listener; Committed to personal growth and development for self and others.
- Low ego; strong emotional intelligence.
- Strong analytical, communication and organizational skills.
- Proven creative problem-solving skills with a drive to create “solutions.”
- Midwestern work ethic: e.g., “roll-up your sleeves” and take-charge leader.
- Proven ability to manage a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, construction management, or related field is required.
All inquiries should be emailed to: