Our client is a rapidly growing privately held specialty trade contractor serving the residential and commercial market space. Headquartered in Michigan, the company has built a reputation based on quality and service. This is an entrepreneurial environment with a high performing culture committed to integrity, excellence, service and simply solving problems.
As a newly created position, our client is looking for an experienced and pragmatic leader who will play an integral role in propelling the business forward. This position will be responsible for the leadership and execution of all day-to-day operations and management of commercial projects in a family-based culture with a strong emphasis on one united team with grit and purpose. They will be tasked to create, develop, and execute strategic business planning including operations, sales, and marketing. It is essential for this position to establish and build credibility amongst a well-established, dedicated, and loyal team. Leading by example with personal integrity, teamwork, and transparency the General Manager will motivate and positively influence the entire organization. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment with a drive to “win” attitude. This position will be a focal point for building relationships that impact the expansion and exposure for their business within Michigan and Ohio.
This position reports to the Owners with no direct reports
Our client is seeking a proactive leader with an “own-it mentality” that will play an integral part in optimizing and growing the commercial side of the company. The ideal candidate will be highly strategic, and relationship driven with extensive experience within a trades industry. The General Manager will be passionate about creating, coaching, and training the team and effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people and promote an engaged culture. The successful candidate will have a sense of urgency, exhibit a hands-on approach to operations management and will be highly organized, passionate, and have a strong work ethic.
- Strategic partner with the Owner on key planning issues and make recommendations on important business decisions. Identifies risk and opportunity and initiates prompt corrective action when necessary to ensure successful delivery of business plans.
- Lead/manage the process of implementing aggressive but realistic annual sales plans targeted to increase market share and promote both top & bottom-line growth.
- Responsible for the overall success of the commercial division including planning, development and execution of long-term strategies to achieve stated goals.
- Interact regularly with customers to strengthen the relationship, report results, and identify new opportunities for providing value added services.
- Help to grow the business by identifying growth opportunities and expansion locations.
- Drive client delivery to ensure that solutions are aligned with business objectives, regulatory expectations, and industry practices.
- Maintain leadership of a values-driven organization with one cohesive team.
- Team development from a capacity and capability standpoint; passionate about coaching and training the team.
- Ensuring the company maintains a high social responsibility wherever it does business.
- Oversees pricing and quotation policies best practices to achieve long term strategic and financial goals.
- Planning, control, and management of day-to-day operations.
- Nurtures an atmosphere of cooperation, communication, and synergy between all departments.
- Develop and maintain effective, long-term relationships with customers and external partners.
- Travel to offsite meetings on behalf of the company to interact with customers, as necessary.
- Responsible for quarterly and annual management review process.
- Ability to create, lead, and manage KPI’s that maximize the overall effectiveness of the commercial division.
- Report to ownership on operational objectives and ensure accountability for the achievement of results.
- Solve problems with a logical and systematic approach. Manage scheduling for maximized efficiency.
- Establishes and implements short and long-range departmental goals, objectives, and policies.
- Takes hands-on lead position of developing, implementing, and maintaining a comprehensive job cost and estimating system, improving profitability.
Leadership and Management:
- Supreme diplomat to provide overall executive leadership for all aspects of operations, sales, customer relations and has responsibility to hold staff accountable for programs and services.
- Impeccable integrity and ethics.
- Respectful of others and respected by peers. Honest, direct, dependable, authentic, and trustworthy. Flexible and adaptable, collaborates comfortably with individuals and teams.
- Proven ability to influence with an approachable style that inspires confidence and empowerment.
- They must exhibit professional and managerial skills with an ability to inspire trust and confidence in all levels of the organization to achieve the highest standards of performance.
- High degree of communication ensuring the management team is fully informed of operational objectives.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in trade industries, with at least 5 years of senior management experience managing multiple project teams.
- Must have experience in the trades industry.
- Direct sales and customer experience.
- Proven track record as General Manager and/or leading operations.
- Overachiever; passionate and high energy with laser focus on execution and results.
- Active listener; Committed to personal growth and development for self and others.
- Low ego; strong emotional intelligence.
- Successful experience with financial management of labor and operational planning costs.
- Detail oriented with strong strategic leadership and project management skills.
- Strong analytical, communication and organizational skills.
- Proven creative problem-solving skills with a drive to create “solutions.”
- Midwestern work ethic: e.g. “roll-up your sleeves” and take-charge leader.
- Proven ability to manage a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, construction management, or related field is required.
All inquiries should be emailed to: