Our client provides a diverse line of industrial equipment to support sewer, industrial, and environmental cleaning, oil and gas, electric, infrastructure, and municipal equipment needs. With locations across North America, they have a large fleet and network with business lines including equipment sales, rentals, parts, tools, accessories, and services. In business for over 50 years, their company culture is straightforward, entrepreneurial, and genuine.
Our client is seeking a highly motivated Vice President of Operations. This is a newly created role and an opportunity to have a big impact on an already successful company. Acting as the CEO’s right hand, the Vice President of Operations will oversee and lead the company’s day-to-day operations. They will create and implement strategies to optimize operational performance and drive profitability. With a focus on fostering a positive work environment, optimizing and standardizing processes and procedures, developing a team of talented general managers, and using strong business development skills, they will collaborate with the other members of the leadership team to help the company optimize and continue to grow.
This position reports to the CEO and had seven direct reports.
The Vice President of Operations will plan, direct, coordinate, and oversee North American operations, ensuring the development and implementation of plans and activities to meet the current and future needs of the company. The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and be a hard-working, hands-on blue-collar executive with a talent for seeing opportunities and pursuing them. They will excel at developing relationships with other leaders, direct reports, vendors, and customers. They will be a catalyst for change while honoring the company’s people and history.
- Strategic planning –
- Collaborate with other leaders to align company objectives, formulate business strategies, and drive business growth focused on needle-moving activities.
- Develop and implement long-term strategic plans to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Create consistent but adaptable strategies to support a variety of fragmented market opportunities, niche markets, and business centers.
- Help to create a clear corporate structure and consistency within the operations teams.
- Identify market trends and opportunities to ensure the company remains competitive. Stay informed about industry trends and innovations to maintain a competitive edge in the marketplace.
- Tactical Management –
- Optimize operations to maximize efficiency, profitability, and customer satisfaction.
- Oversee operations and manage a team of regional general managers.
- Establish, implement, and monitor standardized operational processes, procedures, and policies.
- Ensure all locations maintain equipment quality, and safety standards and adhere to regulations and standard operating procedures.
- Work closely with HR to develop workforce plans and participate in talent selection and onboarding.
- Performance Management and Reporting –
- Develop and implement performance management systems to track and evaluate operational success.
- Monitor KPIs and provide regular reports to the leadership team.
- Partnered with the CEO and CFO, helping to create and drive a culture of accountability, identifying areas of improvement, and developing action plans.
- Translate data into usable information.
- Ensure a data-driven approach to decision-making and continuous improvement.
- Commercial Management –
- Be an ambassador representing the company’s brand of excellence.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key customers and channel partners.
- Collaborate with the CEO and the sales and business development teams to identify and pursue new business opportunities, products, and services.
- Inventory Management –
- Oversee the management of equipment inventory; fleet and service/replacement parts.
- Modernize and implement efficiency strategies to support inventory control, equipment maintenance, asset tracking, and growing a multi-faceted parts distribution business.
- Collaborate with the procurement team to optimize vendor relationships and the supply chain.
- Monitor equipment utilization and make data-driven decisions to optimize fleet size and composition.
Leadership and Management:
- Provide leadership and direction to the operations team, fostering a positive work environment.
- Be a player-coach and mentor to the general managers.
- Develop and implement employee training and development programs to enhance capabilities.
- Establish performance objectives and conduct performance evaluations.
- Promote a culture of accountability, continuous improvement, and collaboration within the organization.
- Encourage and support innovation to drive ongoing operational excellence.
- Motivate and inspire the team to achieve personal and organizational goals.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience leading operations in the equipment and parts sales and/or rental industry.
- Extensive knowledge of industry principles, procedures, and best practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and resolve complex operational issues.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A sense of humor, fun, and camaraderie.
- Estimated travel 50%
- • Bachelor’s degree is required, MBA is desired.