Our client is a rapidly growing privately held OEM supplier within the plastics industry. Headquartered in Southeastern, MI with five business units across multiple locations and states, their production space consists of over 550,000+ square feet. The culture of this entrepreneurial environment is growth minded with strong accountability, trustworthiness, a “do whatever it takes” mentality and leading by example with a can-do attitude.
Our client seeks a proactive, results-driven and resourceful leader to play a key role in the development and implementation of financial processes and systems. This position will partner with the leadership team to align financial objectives to operational performance aiding in optimizing the company’s overall performance. This position will act as a liaison, working closely with members of the leadership team to provide consultative support that helps them with planning initiatives and operational analyses and recommendations.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with up to (5) five direct reports.
The Vice President (VP) of Finance will be hands-on and highly knowledgeable in manufacturing environments. The ideal candidate will report on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to GAAP, budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting and compliance. The VP of Finance will prepare or direct the preparation of reports which summarize and forecast business activity reviewing past performance to identify trends that can create opportunities for the company to optimize. This position will build a strong finance/accounting team and will coach the leadership team on effective and efficient processes that create value through the generation of revenue, servicing that revenue through manufacturing and other operating activities, and create enterprise value from that revenue.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the company’s mission and an active participant in helping to drive optimization across all levels of the organization. Direct short and long-term forecasting and budgeting that supports both ownership & business objectives that aid in driving the company to achieve and surpass profitability and cash flow objectives focused on increasing enterprise value. In alignment with the company’s culture, the candidate will be humble, respectful, hands-on, honest, and responsible (“owns it”). The VP of Finance’s responsibilities will be broad and include coaching and mentoring a collaborative team, as well as helping to build a roadmap for success.
- An integral part of the leadership team; provide guidance to the leadership team on departmental planning initiatives through financial information analyses, reports and recommendations; Communicate accurate financial information, data, and metrics to help them make informed decisions.
- Ensure the company has the proper processes and controls, reporting procedures to meet operational and financial targets; provide leadership team with detailed/accurate understanding of the overall operating condition of the company; Communicate in a manner that ensures the company’s focus on the creation of enterprise value through the disciplined attention to increasing cash flow while simultaneously optimizing the operations.
- Partner with the CEO to help create and set financial and performance goals for each department that are aggressive, achievable, and tied to long-term strategic goals. Monitor department performance against performance goals to ensure that there is progress.
- Working with the CEO and entire leadership team utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide greater financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budget.
- Present business goals transparently and explain them in a way which is understandable at all levels within the company; translate data into information that can’t be ignored, challenging the leadership team to excel and improve.
- Manages and oversees all aspects of the Finance, Accounting, HR and IT functions of the company.
- Directly responsible for all fiscal reporting activities for the company including organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, development and monitoring of organizational budgets.
- Represent the company with banks and other financial institutions, CPAs, attorneys, insurance and benefits providers, and other business stakeholders.
- Drive the annual forecasting and budgeting process and monthly reporting. Proactively manage cash flows in a leveraged environment and ensure that management decision making follows from information that is timely, accurate, and relevant.
- Effectively lead the finance/accounting team by developing and coaching existing team members and by hiring and retaining appropriate talent when needed.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the leadership team.
- Must have 10+ years’ experience in the Manufacturing and/or Heavy Industrial Industries
- Privately held or family-owned business experience is a must.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in senior-level finance positions with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization of at least $50M in annual sales.
- Possess a “do what it takes to get the job done” mindset while dedicated to deliver work timely.
- Must have knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems; Direct experience with ERP systems implementation (Epicor a plus) and integrating reporting.
- Proactive with creative problem-solving skills. Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and financial management.
- Proven experience assisting operations with inventory management, WIP accounting and BOM.
- Proven ability in finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including GAAP.
- Must be able to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects. Strong work ethic, e.g., “roll-up your sleeves” leader.
- Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) experience a plus.
- Highly focused on execution and results, organized and analytical; initiates as opposed to reacts.
- Successful experience with financial management of labor and operational planning costs.
- Displays stamina, energy and is committed to personal growth and development for self and others. Doesn’t take oneself too seriously, can work in a lively small company atmosphere without the resources of a large company.
- Direct experience evaluating and building strong Finance and Accounting teams.
- Forecasting, budgeting and management of banking relationships. Establish and maintain processes for accurately closing the books within 5 business days of month-end.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related discipline is required, MBA desired.
- Accounting designation of CPA, CMA, CGA or equivalent combination of related experience and education is a plus but not required.