Our client is a privately-owned global company with expertise in design, engineering, manufacturing, fabrication, installation, training, and start-up of automated material handling systems. Located in Southeast Michigan with operations in three countries, they have been in business for 85 years supporting manufacturing companies worldwide in the automotive, heavy equipment, engine, marine, vehicle parking, and other industries. They pride themselves on providing their customers with quality, economical products and services.
Our client wishes to find a Chief Operating Officer. The COO will create a safe, productive, and rewarding environment that supports the company’s mission and its employees and allows them to exceed customers’ expectations. They will oversee all administrative and operational functions including business development, sales, project management, engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, and materials management. They will deliver improvements, efficiencies, and innovations that make the company fit for the future.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer 6 direct reports.
The COO will oversee the company’s ongoing operations and administration. The goal of the COO position is to secure the functionality of the business to drive extensive and sustainable growth. They will act as a catalyst for change with the support of the owners. The ideal candidate will be trustworthy, respectful, and have integrity. They will embrace and encourage innovation and change, value teamwork, and be an open and honest communicator. An experienced and efficient leader, they will have excellent people skills, business acumen, a “roll up your sleeves” mentality, and an exemplary work ethic.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Create a “culture of accountability” in which employees are supported and held accountable for completing tasks and working together to reach goals and solve problems with clear expectations and goals, open lines of communication, strong leadership, well define processes, and constant follow-up.
- Organize all activities and operations to support business strategy and align with customers’ needs wherein products are produced to the highest standard at the best cost.
- As a member of the leadership team, report on the company’s daily operations, current client project status, as well as the team’s plans for business operations, strategy, and other company goals and objectives.
- Ensure that the plans and strategy developed by the executive leadership team are properly and successfully communicated and implemented.
- Formulate, develop, implement, manage and participate in global sales and commercial strategies.
- Create strategies to attract prospective customers and keep current ones.
- Help the team craft concise and effective sales proposals and estimates that translate the company’s services into tangible value for customers using data and real-life examples, differentiating the company from its competition.
- Support the business development/sales team by concentrating on focus, direction, and creating synergies and accountability.
- Design and implement business strategies, plans, procedures, and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Manage the planning, allocation, and direction of resources from the bidding process to project completion.
- Create budgets for financial growth and resource management.
- Set goals for performance and growth and evaluate by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics.
- Write and submit reports to the CEO in all matters of importance.
- Manage relationships with customers, partners, and vendors.
- Balance the goals, needs, and challenges of all of the company’s departments while encouraging them to work cross-functionally and collaboratively.
Leadership and Management:
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision.
- Act as a bridge between the leadership team, other department heads, and lower-level employees using proactive and clear two-way communication.
- Oversee daily operations of the company and the work of directors and managers.
- Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication.
- Hire, train and retain outstanding professionals with a broad understanding of best practice techniques.
- Mentor and coach directors and managers.
- At least five years’ experience in a Chief Operating Officer or relevant role.
- Proven experience successfully leading and managing teams.
- Understanding of business functions such as Manufacturing, HR, Finance, Sales, etc.
- Must understand the financial impact of the different stages through the value chain, from R&D through to engineering, production, and distribution.
- Experience delivering and managing in the material handling, machine building, or related industries.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Numbers-driven and metric-focused.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Goal-oriented and results-driven.
- Critical thinking and multitasking.
- Aptitude in decision-making, delegation, and problem-solving.
- Ability to express themselves in a professional and big-picture way to the leadership team, while also effectively breaking down management decisions to lower-level managers and workers.
- Organizational, administrative, and leadership skills.
- BS/BA in Business Administration or relevant field; MS/MBA is a plus