Our client is a rapidly growing privately held specialty trade contractor serving the residential market space. Headquartered in Ohio and operating for almost twenty years, the company has built a stellar reputation providing the highest level of quality and service. This is an entrepreneurial environment with a high performing culture committed to core values which include but not limited to; integrity, excellence, service and simply solving problems.
Our client is seeking a proactive leader with an “own-it mentality” that will play an integral part in optimizing and growing the company. The responsibilities for the General Manager (GM) will be broad and include managing all operations and administration either directly or through internal department heads. The successful candidate must be exceptionally hands-on and entrepreneurial with a servant leadership approach to management. The GM will be results-driven, solutions minded and capable of managing operational processes that ensure this organization’s continued success.
This position reports to the President/Owner with (4) four direct reports.
The GM will mentor and coach the existing leadership team. Organize resources to get things done, while using them effectively and efficiently. Set clear expectations, manage processes and procedures to ensure accountability through a workable performance management system. This individual must have a strong work ethic with exceptional organizational skills. It is essential that the GM builds trust within the team while keeping high performing teams performing high.
This position will be responsible for running the day-to-day operations of one location and thoroughly understanding the field, who your people are. This is a customer focused culture that takes pride in exceeding their customers’ expectations by delivering practical solutions and supreme service.
- Drive a positive and cohesive culture. Recruit, mentor, evaluate, motivate all employees to ensure an effective service-oriented team environment is maintained. Build morale and celebrate wins.
- Help to stabilize the business and identify growth opportunities; and help to expand locations.
- Plans, directs and manages daily operations; ensuring the development and implementation of efficient processes and departmental training to meet current and future business requirements.
- Ability to create Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) that maintain and maximize the overall effectiveness of the total company. Identify growth opportunities.
- Ensure all department heads are fully informed of operational objectives and ensure accountability for achievement of results throughout the company. Conducts regular meetings with department heads to ensure that priorities are clear, and coordination is good. Comfortable giving presentations.
- Solve problems with a logical and systematic approach. Manage scheduling for maximized efficiency.
- Establishes and implements short and long-range departmental goals, objectives and policies.
- Takes hands-on lead position of developing, implementing and maintaining a comprehensive job cost and estimating system, improving profitability throughout the company.
- Develops and implements process improvements, i.e., project management, labor control, cost accounting, buying (oversee purchasing) and oversee inventory management.
Leadership and Management:
- Impeccable integrity and ethics.
- Respectful of others and respected by peers. Honest, direct, dependable, authentic and trustworthy.
- Must have “own it” mentality, no excuses.
- Strategic partner to owner on key planning issues and make recommendations on important business decisions. Identifies risk and opportunity and initiates prompt corrective action when necessary to ensure successful delivery of business plans.
- Act in a supervisory capacity with responsibilities including recruitment and development of staff; planning, assigning and directing workflow; analyzing performance; motivating and encouraging employees; addressing issues and complaints.
- Embrace challenges and be the “calm in the storm”. Flexible and adaptable, works comfortably with individuals and teams. Able to build relationships and trust with a wide range of individuals.
- Proven ability to influence with an approachable style that inspires confidence and empowerment.
- Seven (7) years of senior management experience involving full P&L, balance sheet, capital structures and growth responsibilities.
- Sales experience a plus.
- Proven track record as General Manager and/or leading operations.
- Overachiever; passionate and high energy with laser focus on execution and results.
- Active listener; Committed to personal growth and development for self and others.
- Low ego; strong emotional intelligence.
- Successful experience with financial management of labor and operational planning costs.
- Detail oriented with strong strategic leadership and project management skills.
- Must know how and when to delegate tasks.
- Strong analytical, communication and organizational skills.
- Proven creative problem-solving skills with a drive to create “solutions”.
- Highly focused, organized, analytical thinker who initiates, as opposed to reacts.
- Midwestern work ethic: e.g. “roll-up your sleeves” and take charge leader.
- Proven ability to manage a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance or management required. MBA highly preferred.
Sales experience is a plus.