Founded over forty years ago, our client is a successful and growing restoration company located in Southeastern, Michigan. This family business was founded on strong values and is committed to doing the right thing and continues to invest in the employees, processes and tools. The entrepreneurial culture is dedicated to building strong relationships and providing the best service possible in commercial and residential construction and services.
As a newly created position, the Director of Operations, a member of the Leadership Team, will be responsible for the leadership and execution of day-to-day operations and management of projects while planning and preparing for future growth. Responsibilities will be broad. This role will provide leadership in establishing and improving efficiencies, processes, and procedures within the businesses operational departments. This position will instill a sense of empowerment and accountability amongst the team and help to develop a cohesive team capable of exceeding customer expectations with excellent work that is on time and on budget. This is an opportunity to help shape the future of the company and the autonomy to do it.
This position reports to the President with six (6) direct reports.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized and will have experience within the trades industries. He or she must have experience in creating and implementing operational processes that lead to optimum efficiencies. This individual will be passionate about coaching and training the team and effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people and promote an engaged culture. The successful candidate will be able to multi-task with a sense of urgency and exhibit a hands-on approach to operations management with impeccable integrity and ethics.
This position will lead and manage the internal operations departments by setting clear objectives, defining ideal processes/standards and aligning the team to be accountable to the overall daily through-put.
- Manage and monitor job responsibilities of the internal operations departments and teams; i.e. Equipment/Facilities Manager, Carpentry Manager, Water Mitigation Manager and Contents Manager.
- Develop comprehensive procedures for reporting, information flow and management, business processes and organizational planning to be presented and review with the President and Ownership.
- Create Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for the businesses operations that maintain and maximize the overall effectiveness of the total operation.
- Create and institute an inventory and materials management process and system that organizes and optimizes how material, resources and equipment are currently managed.
- Communicate with each Departmental Manager to verify and monitor the progress on each job/task to effectively ensure all projects are completed on schedule and within budget expectations.
- Proactively work with Departmental Managers to identify projects that are underperforming and implement corrective measures to resolve issues.
- Teach, train and coach Department Managers who are placing staff, scheduling equipment, and determining when to ramp up or scale down projects, jobs and tasks.
- Define and manage a production and project schedule and verify and monitor the progress on each project.
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team to develop long term strategy and implement processes to help achieve it.
- Responsible for the Safety and Risk Management; continuous improvement and development according to or better than best practices.
- Ensure day-to-day operations are conducted in compliance with safety, regulatory and legal requirements, and company policies.
- Oversee production and results, continually seeking opportunities for improved efficiency and streamlined processes.
- Direct the development of processes and procedures to construct projects safely and effectively.
- Develop and present the organization’s project, capital, and operating expense budgets for all construction functions.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities for analysis and implementation.
- Lead analysis of construction cost performance against budget.
- Identify, develop, and build relationships with 3rd party service providers and specialized subcontractors.
- Must be able to clearly communicate job expectations as well as plan, monitor, appraise, and review job performance while enforcing policies and procedures.
Leadership and Management:
The Director of Operations will be unflappable in this growing entrepreneurial environment. Possessing a firm but fair and honest diplomatic approach, this individual will help create a culture based on respect and empowerment and will lead and manage a team resulting in accountability. A clear and open communicator effective at interacting with people at all levels of the organization, this person will lead by example with a humble roll up your sleeves demeanor. The Director of Operations will contribute to the growth of the company by developing and maintaining professional and cooperative customer and employee relationships by setting the tone and reflecting a positive and engaging culture. This will be accomplished by effectively leading others and having a full and complete understanding of all company policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in trade industries, with at least 5 years of senior management experience managing multiple project teams.
- Proven ability to work successfully in an entrepreneurial family business environment.
- Must understand P/L and budgeting with the ability to read and interpret blueprints/CAD drawings.
- Familiar with OSHA construction standards and construction technology.
- Strong work ethic: ability to manage and deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven creative problem-solving skills with a drive to create solutions.
- Highly organized with a strong work ethic, e.g., “roll-up-your-sleeves leader.
- Proven ability to demonstrate the highest integrity professionally and personally.
- Collaborative with strong interpersonal skills that allow for comfortable interaction with the operations teams, company peers and senior management.
- Must be knowledgeable of construction site chain of command. Materials management experience.
- Proactive operations experience with a proven “take-charge” record of accomplishment.
- Proven ability to motivate and lead teams by example. Displaying stamina, energy and commitment to personal growth and development for self and others.
- Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality with a track record of optimizing successful organizations.
- Tech savvy, methodical and able to manage multiple priorities, stress, and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree is desired, preferably in Construction Management.