Our client is a premier law firm in the metropolitan Detroit area. They are recognized for the highest standard of professional ethics, integrity, the quality of their work, and delivering exceptional service. The firm offers a wide range of services to businesses and individuals in all major areas of the law including real estate. Their culture is highly collegial and collaborative. By honoring their history, contributing to the community, and staying at the leading edge of practice and technology, the firm’s attorneys are consistently recognized as leaders in the profession.
The law firm desires to find an experienced real estate attorney who will lead the firm’s real estate practice. While having a productive practice and client base of their own, the Practice Group Leader will help lead and support a highly collaborative team of attorneys from various areas. The law firm’s breadth of experience in various areas and commitment to supporting each other provide attorneys the opportunity to leverage their individual practices. Although the firm has many existing clients who regularly need assistance with real estate matters, the Practice Group Leader will have the opportunity to grow the firm’s real estate practice. This leader will set the tone for a positive work environment that expects, encourages, and celebrates collaboration and accountability within the practice group and the entire firm.
This position reports to the Executive Committee.
The Practice Group Leader will build, lead and support a highly collaborative team wherein individual members routinely commit time and energy to advance the team’s objectives. They will support structure and accountability in the group to maximize economic potential while institutionalizing the principles of integrity, leadership, and teamwork. Maintaining and growing relationships with existing clients and bringing new clients to the firm is a prime directive of the position. The ideal candidate will possess a charismatic and engaging personality, absolute professionalism, and a desire to see the team and its members grow and succeed.
Plan, organize and oversee the proper and profitable performance of work as well as the delivery of high-quality legal services.
- Maintain and build relationships while increasing the scope of work with existing clients.
- Develop new clients.
- Regularly report to the executive committee on the progress made in the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Ensure coordination, control, and accountability over the area of practice.
- Increase the economic contribution of the practice group to the firm while enhancing revenue and profitability.
- Facilitate and leverage knowledge management.
- Play a leadership role in the decision of what work the practice should pursue through client development initiatives.
- Develop succession planning: recommend, implement and monitor the practice group’s plan to transition clients, matters, and networking contacts from senior partners to the next generation of the firm’s leadership.
- Serve as the group’s coach, motivator, mediator, communicator, and morale-builder and develop individual planning and role definitions.
- Speak with and meet with each member quarterly to discuss workloads, matters, business development, operational issues, and practice development.
- Oversee recruiting (including consideration of increasing diversity and the changing nature of the workforce), retention, and the development of systems for the associates’ professional and personal career development.
- Ensure compliance of group members with the administrative requirements of the firm.
- Be accessible and have an open-door policy.
- Provide ongoing and constructive feedback.
- 15-20 years experience.
- Have a wide range of real estate law experience in multiple areas including experience in some but not necessarily all the following: real estate acquisitions and sales; leasing (commercial, industrial, and retail); development; mortgage financing; land use, planning, and zoning; environmental law; and local, state and federal economic development programs.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Be an effective manager of both people and projects. Collegial, well-mannered, and even-tempered. Lead by example.
- Be collaborative and support the needs of other attorneys in the firm.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively and encourage others to do so.
- Strong organization skills; able to prioritize issues and tasks and delegate where feasible.
- Will put clients and the firm first.
- Develop, implement and maintain an effective Practice Development Plan for themself and the real estate practice group.
- Grow the real estate practice group. Growing relationships with existing clients and bringing new clients to the firm are important.
- Will have the respect of clients and other attorneys in and outside the firm
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Michigan or ability to be admitted in Michigan within six months without examination.