Our client is a privately owned full-service commercial real estate company that provides brokerage, development, construction, and property management services. They are located in the Detroit metropolitan area and focus their work on the Midwest. They own and operate over two million square feet of commercial and office property. In business for over thirty years, they pride themselves on strong values and superior customer service.
The Director of Construction will coordinate and monitor all facets of the development process. Our client is looking for a well-experienced construction leader to help take them to the next level. The Director of Construction will play a leading role in the future growth of our client’s impressive portfolio ensuring alignment with corporate objectives and strategic direction. They will help to develop company culture and build the department.
This position reports to the Owner/CEO and has three direct reports.
The Director of Construction will lead the construction department and oversee all activities and projects from start to finish. They will effectively manage the budgeting, organization, implementation, and scheduling of projects while controlling for time, budget, and quality. They will ensure customer satisfaction and exceed customer expectations. A key to success in this role will be developing strong relationships with the team, customers, vendors, and industry partners. They will develop new business opportunities by leveraging existing relationships and grow existing projects. Working with the company’s brokerage and property management departments they will create ways to add value, increase sales and grow the company. The successful candidate will have a sense of urgency and exhibit a hands-on approach to construction management. They will be highly organized, passionate, and have integrity.
This position will lead the construction department to obtain company goals and objectives. Lead and manage internal and external construction teams to ensure on-time completion and proper staffing levels.
- Oversee all new build, build-out, and maintenance projects.
- Manage multiple projects in a variety of sizes.
- Responsible for managing the construction team and subcontractors.
- Ensure all projects are on time and on budget.
- Manage budget and control expenses effectively.
- Responsible for planning, resource, and communication strategies related to projects.
- Ensure all of the company’s systems, policies, and procedures are followed.
- Direct the scope of work, evaluate bids, negotiate customer and subcontractor construction contracts.
- Oversee the creation of estimates, project schedules, budgets, milestone targets, and other construction activities.
- Eliminate lost time due to construction delays.
- Ensure projects are done in accordance with specifications and quality standards are met.
- Visit project sites.
- Hold all internal and external resources accountable to production targets.
- Ensure leaders are up to date on project status including production reports and work in progress evaluation.
- Execute successful completion, close-out, and acceptance of each project.
- Address warranty issues and complete final documentation.
- Deal with contract disputes and mitigate the impact of any issues.
- Maintain a flexible and dynamic approach that expects and embraces changes in the business environment and be willing to meet needed challenges that result from the change.
- Develop new business opportunities by leveraging relationships.
- Increase revenue coming from third-party work.
- Foster communication and coordination between company departments.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in commercial construction with at least five years in management.
- Superior project and people management skills.
- Able to multitask and prioritize duties and tasks with a sense of urgency.
- Deadline-oriented with an ability to complete tasks, assignments, and projects on time.
- Expert knowledge of building products, construction details, relevant rules, regulations, and quality standards.
- Understand critical path timelines and manage projects to completion.
- Extensive knowledge of construction means and methods, costs, and engineering principles.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals.
- Ability to manage and deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to demonstrate the highest integrity professionally and personally.
- Proactive management experience with a proven “take-charge” record of accomplishment.
- Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality with a track record of creating successful organizations and completing successful projects.
- Tech-savvy, methodical, and able to manage multiple priorities, stress, and deadlines.
- Ability to travel to job site locations as needed (approximately 20% of the time).
- An overachiever who is dedicated, passionate, fun, and always prepared.
- Good sense of humor.
Bachelor’s degree is desired, preferably in Construction Management or a similar field of study.