Confidential- 2nd generation family business in the Industrial Distribution industry.
Our client has created a newly expanded role, for a Vice President, Sales Operations, which will be tasked with developing and implementing sales & service plans focused on further market growth in both new and existing customers. This leader will own and reorganize the company’s sales & service operational business group to be a world-class operation. Acting as “Chief Liaison” for the sales & service teams, the Vice President, Sales Operations will leverage his or her relationship building abilities to aid the total organization in greater alignment to the company’s strategic direction, departmental accountability and growing market share and revenue.
This position reports to the Owners, and has seven (7) direct reports
As the company is poised to expand their reach the prime role for the Vice President, Sales Operations will be instrumental in organizing and aligning the sales & service departments/teams and aid in developing and securing a growing stream of profitable business. Working as an active member of the leadership team the Vice President, Sales Operations will be instrumental in crafting the company’s future strategic direction. This is a family-based culture with a strong emphasis on trustworthiness, honesty, and integrity. As one of the “faces” and a spokesperson of the company, the selected candidate will be expected to enhance these traditional values as they continue to adjust and grow.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate will have a fire in the belly and a drive to succeed at growing this business and must have distinguished themselves within Industrial Products or Distribution markets.
- Work closely with the Leadership team to develop and implement strategic & tactical plans focused on departmental accountability and sustainable growth within the automotive and consumer goods industries.
- Development & implementation of a sales & operational strategies/objectives and underlying objectives; defines responsibilities within the sales and service teams, that establishes processes and procedures designed to attain those strategies/objectives.
- Lead and manage the departmental sales & service direction, ensuring that the highest levels of operational actions and support are achieved, work closely with the sales & service teams to ensure the businesses operational and financial objectives are achieved for the company’s customers.
- Develop and present unique solutions to customers by maintaining expert industry knowledge. Maintain knowledge of emerging technology trends, new products, features and functionality and recommend new product capabilities for corporate portfolio.
- Quarterback the cross-functional teams to understand the market, manufacturing technologies available, competitor analysis, regional footprint advantages/opportunities and pricing dynamics.
Leadership and Management:
- Work closely within the Leadership team, help to develop and implement strategic business plans focused on sustainable revenue growth, and to define & position the company as a high-value distribution/supply chain partner.
- Establish, maintain and continue to enhance a business case and a revenue forecasting system that provides accurate, reliable, and predictable information regarding retention of existing customers, prospects and viable opportunities
- Develop annual fiscal year sales forecast and assumptions for assigned accounts. Utilize sales forecasts, monthly reports, summaries of major customer contacts/meetings and resulting action plans.
- Proactively identify new business opportunities (customer solutions) that match company and business segment objectives and capabilities.
- Report on sales & service departments delivery pipeline performance-against-budget and projected future activity.
- Interface with customers and prospects at all levels, and with internal staff including Operations, Account Management, Purchasing and Finance.
- Manage and resolve commercial issues in a proactive, professional, timely manner that maximizes both company benefits and customer goodwill. Proactively escalate issues within the customer hierarchy and within Account Management as appropriate to remove roadblocks.
- Support and manage key events at assigned accounts and represent company at industry trade shows, seminars and associations to promote company and establish personal credibility as an industry leader.
- Own and manage the entire marketing function; competitive differentiation tools, competitor analysis, marketing analysis, mailing lists, promotional material creation, presentations, special events, special advertising/PR campaigns, etc.
- Produce professional presentations and written materials to support business development initiatives.
- Present & review sales reports to the Leadership Team showing sales volume, market share, potential and initiate efforts to expand sales and market penetration.
- Define and implement procedures and responsibilities within the sales and account management teams that drive greater accountability.
- Foster and maintain highly effective internal partnerships with key departments [e.g., Finance, Sales, Service & Parts and Operations, etc.].
- Establish, maintain and continually enhance a sales and revenue forecasting system to provide accurate, reliable, and predictable information regarding retention of existing customers, prospects, viable opportunities, and contracts. Utilizing sale forecasts, monthly reports, summaries of major customer contacts / meetings and resulting action plans with the entire sales team.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, and Master’s degree in Business or Management is preferred.
- Ten + years’ experience managing the business development activities within an Industrial Distribution/Wholesale or Automotive Tier supplier.
- Financial acumen and related analysis skills, including P&L, budget planning and creation, understanding pricing strategies and the ability to create highly accurate sales and revenue forecasting models.
- Strong verbal communication skills, including the ability to: present and explain complicated information in a public forum in a clear and concise fashion, leverage negotiation and persuasion skills to maximize customer satisfaction and program success, and deliver difficult messages effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the negotiation process with customer on behalf of the company.
- Proven ability developing business plans which address delivery pipeline, performance-against-budget and projected future activity.
- Proven ability to proactively develop, manage and encourage a solution-minded sales approach.
- Proven ability to demonstrate the highest integrity within their personal and professional life.
- Proven ability in creating accountability at the management level and leading by example.
- Proven track record of successfully growing revenue while maintaining required profitability metrics.
- Able to assimilate into a fun, team oriented and family work environment.
- Must be a “Roll-Up-Your-Sleeves” participative and customer-driven leader.
- Ability to function effectively at both the strategic and tactical levels in the performance of this role.
- Excellent team building, decision-making and people management skills.
- Ability to travel and work within a seasoned team of professionals; approximate travel – 25-40%.