A small family-owned business, our client is seeking a solutions-minded, hands-on Director of Manufacturing who will roll up their sleeves and help set the foundation for the company’s continued growth. As a member of the executive team, this position will direct and coordinate all daily operations of the plant including safety, production and manufacturing, ensuring policies and procedures are followed and goals and objectives are achieved. This leader will train and coach a team to instill a sense of empowerment, competency and accountability. Our client desires a high energy and engaged operations leader to actively participate both strategically and tactically in the future visioning of the company. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be self-motivated and passionate to drive innovation. A strong communicator, they will provide timely, accurate and relevant information, analysis, insight and advice to the owners of the company and executive team in a manner that assures good business decisions. This is a dynamic opportunity to help shape the future of the company.
Our client’s company has a family-based culture with strong emphasis on hard-work, integrity and honesty. The Director of Manufacturing must have high emotional intelligence. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success implementing strategies in alignment with strategic initiatives and providing a clear sense of direction and focus. Developing a strong team, planning, organizing, directing and running optimum day-to-day plant floor operations they will ensure high performance and production at all times in order to exceed customers’ expectations. The candidate must have a stellar work ethic and be extremely hands-on; possessing the ability to cross train, integrate and manage cross functional teams. The Director of Manufacturing will develop efficiency strategies to increase production, assets capacity and flexibility while maintaining quality standards and ensuring the plant meets production goals at minimal cost. They will have responsibility for production input, throughput and output, product quality and on-time shipping.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Operations with three direct reports.
• Partner with the other leaders to provide consultative support on planning initiatives through information analyses and recommendations communicating accurate operational information, data and metrics to help make informed decisions.
• Possess a strong and collaborative leadership presence. Be a quarterback to the team with a contagious desire to win that inspires the team toward shared goals and purpose.
• Be passionate about coaching and training. Effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people and promote a positive “get-it-done” culture dedicated to deliver work on time and on budget.
• Communicate job responsibilities and expectations, plan, monitor, appraise, and review job contributions and conduct performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
• Team player; model a positive and collaborative attitude. Set an example of a strong work ethic with a desire and determination to work hard to achieve goals.
• Participate in monthly leadership meetings and lead weekly team meetings and maintain weekly metrics.
• Present business goals transparently to the team in a way which is understandable at all levels.
• Make business decisions with confidence and act on them with a high sense of urgency.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
• Plan and organize daily workflow activities related to production and operations and oversee all levels of staff activity and performance.
• Assess, train and develop current staff and team leads.
• Oversee production quotas and schedules, ensuring inventory and shipment targets are met.
• Drive continuous improvement and optimization of all processes. Develop systems and processes that track and optimize productivity and standards using metrics and performance targets to ensure effective return on assets.
• Measure productivity by analyzing performance data, financial data, and activity reports.
• Set and follow-up on operational and performance goals/KPIs for each department.
• Document work instructions and build a self-sufficient and cross trained workforce.
• Collaborate with purchasing department to verify, review, maintain, and report on materials and production inventories. Oversee the shipping and receiving functions.
• Determine labor needs to meet production goals. Recruit, hire, train and onboard new staff.
• Organize and oversee the schedules and work of assigned staff.
• Handle discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
• Assist with budget preparation for operations unit.
• Coordinate with the sales department to determine pricing and timing of projects.
• Facilitate and authorize repairs or maintenance for production tools and equipment.
• Proven experience as a Director of Manufacturing, Plant Manager or other plant operational leader.
• Extensive knowledge of operations and production management and ability to interpret financial data as needed to set production goals.
• Excellent managerial, supervisory and leadership skills. Self-motivated and thick skinned.
• Strong team building, decision-making and people management skills.
• Good understanding of regulatory requirements for operating plants.
• Detail oriented, excellent time management skills with a proven ability to create and enforce specific deadlines.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Knowledgeable of safety, quality, productivity, demand creation, inventory and stewardship processes.
• Ability to be adaptable, coached and ask for help when necessary. Must be resourceful, exhibit patience, perseverance and persuasiveness.
• Minimal travel required.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, industrial management, or related field is desired.
• At least seven years of senior management experience including running an organization from the shop-floor.