As a member of the leadership team, the Director of Finance will be responsible for planning and preparing all financial, accounting and human resource activities. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success and responsibility for budget management, financial analysis, payroll, forecasting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and financial reporting. In addition, they will manage key areas within the human resources department such as policy and procedure compliance and ongoing maintenance of HR practices. Our client is seeking a solutions-minded, hands-on executive who will roll up their sleeves, handle multiple functions and help grow a department as the company grows. This role will provide leadership in establishing and improving efficiencies, systems, processes, and procedures within the organization. The Director of Finance will instill a sense of empowerment and accountability amongst the team. This is a dynamic opportunity to help shape the future of the company with the autonomy to do it.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Operations (dotted line to owners) with one direct report.
As a small business owner, our client, desires an engaged finance leader from the manufacturing industry. The ideal candidate will actively participate both strategically and tactically in the future visioning of the company and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will be self-motivated and passionate to drive innovation and help move the company forward. A strong communicator and skilled financial manager, it will be their mission to streamline budgeting, payroll and financial reporting processes. They will produce thorough financial-status reports for executive team to help improve operational efficiency and aid in continued growth. As a value-added partner to the Vice President of Operations, this executive will help elevate the business to the next level with a “want to win” attitude and knows what it takes to get there. Additionally, this role will provide appropriate analysis, insights and advice to the owners of the company and executive team in a manner that assures good business decisions are made with timely, accurate and relevant information.
Leadership and Management:
• An integral part of the executive team; partner with the leaders of the company to provide consultative support on planning initiatives through financial information analyses and recommendations.
• Participate in the development and support of the company’s strategic plan.
• Provide expertise to the leadership team; Communicate accurate financial information, data and metrics to help them make informed decisions.
• Possess an executive presence with supreme organizational skills.
• Challenge the leadership team to excel and improve, as well as being coachable.
• Set an example of a strong work ethic with a desire and determination to work hard to achieve goals.
• Possess a “do what it takes to get the job done” mindset while being dedicated to deliver work timely.
• Team player; model a positive and collaborative attitude.
• Actively participate in monthly leadership meetings.
• Present business goals transparently and explain them in a way which is understandable at all levels within the company.
• Make business (finance & accounting) decisions with confidence and act on them with a high sense of urgency.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
• Manages all financial forecasting and planning process while monitoring and reporting on the financial performance of the company, by department and function.
• Develop, implement and execute aggressive but realistic annual plans targeted to increase accounting and finance efficiencies.
• Provide guidance to ensure relevant and timely delivery of all financial reporting and planning outputs.
• Help manage the implementation of a new ERP system.
• Compile and analyze financial reporting packages.
• Work with Vice President of Operations to help drive operational decision-making.
• Prepare monthly and annual operating budgets.
• Consolidate statements and reconcile balance sheet on a monthly basis.
• Insure timely and accurate reporting of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
• Develop and manage financial controls in accordance with the company’s procedures.
• Handle all accounts receivable and accounts payable functions.
• Assess current accounting operations and systems and offer recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
• Develop and monitor business performance metrics.
• Manage the preparation and processing of payroll for personnel.
• Assist operations with purchasing and inventory management; take ownership.
• Manage human resources; Keep up to date on HR issues and trends.
• Minimum of ten years accounting experience in a senior accounting or financial management role.
• At least five-years’ experience in human resources.
• Must have experience in the manufacturing industry.
• Stellar work ethic; willing to do work hard to get the job done.
• Creative problem solver with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proven ability to demonstrate the highest level of integrity with impeccable analytic and organizational skills.
• Self-motivated, self-directed and thick-skinned.
• Ability to adapt, prioritize and react quickly to changes.
• Proactive financial leadership and possesses a sense of urgency.
• Experience working with an ERP system and/or implementing one is desired.
• Ability to be coached and ask for help when necessary.
• Team player with a sense of humor and ability to use their authority appropriately.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related discipline is required; MBA desired.
• Accounting designation of CMA, CGA or equivalent combination of related experience and education.