With a rich history as a premiere supplier to the automotive industry, this fourth generation, family-owned business is poised for new growth. Dominating market share with several OEMs for over 80-years, they have been customer-centric, agile, and dedicated to operational excellence. Their proprietary materials are developed and manufactured over four locations in two states. An award-winning culture, recognized internationally by the automotive industry as an innovative solutions provider saving their customers time and money.
The Vice President of Operations is responsible for leading multi-site manufacturing as well as planning and implementing strategy in support of the corporate goals and objectives. The culture of our client’s company is focused on getting things done and treating others with respect while promoting a positive work environment. Our client is seeking a strategic, hands-on, relationship driven operations leader with strong high volume manufacturing experience. This position will work closely with other members of the leadership team across the business.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and has five (5) direct reports.
The Vice President of Operations will bring technical and strategic vision to the leadership team and while having a “roll-up-your-sleeves” work ethic to aid in the development and elevation of the team’s overall performance. This will require superlative people skills, commitment, and the ability to wear multiple hats. The Vice President of Operations will be diligent in assessing the current processes and procedures while implementing programs to improve quality, production speed, accountability, and efficiency by leveraging agile methodology, lean manufacturing, and data-driven business systems. They will be responsible for driving a cohesive culture of safety, quality, continuous improvement, collaborative problem solving, and accountability. This position will help to coach and mentor a technical team to maximize everyone’s potential within the organization. With an extraordinary focus on the customer, this position is accountable for managing metrics, service, inventory management and safety.
Leadership and Management:
- Lead by example with a tenacious problem-solving mentality.
- Promote and provide the appropriate structure and discipline into the facilities to optimize productivity.
- Help establish the continuity strategy with existing Plant Managers to identify upcoming leadership.
- Ensure that the production facilities and supply chain functions have high performing leadership teams.
- Define and allocate labor, material, machine, and facility resources in accordance with scheduled customer requirements and corporate goals.
- Plan, organize and control all manufacturing, engineering, material, and facility activities in accordance with corporate policies, procedures, goals, and objectives as defined by management.
- Create, communicate, and execute effective growth operational strategies, technology, organizational development, and standard operating procedures to maximize output and reduce cost in accordance with corporate goals.
- Direct all activities across multiple facilities by coordinating requirements with leadership.
- Responsible for developing annual budget and profit plans for operating activities.
- Establishes operations standards of excellence for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and complete on-time delivery.
- Actively participate in Management Committee meetings to enhance communication, control and planning activities.
- Coordinate with various corporate functions to improve performance and customer satisfaction. Minimize and resolve external business-related concerns and resolve customer issues.
- Delegate responsibility to subordinates for the various functions and define their goals, objectives, and span of control.
- Perform operational reviews to monitor production costs, product quality and implement appropriate changes.
- Develop short- and long-term strategies and investment proposals that will allow the company to achieve competitive advantages and cost reductions through efficient lean manufacturing methods.
- Lead administration of hiring staff, recommend pay increases, conduct performance reviews, training, and development of staff, resource management, assign work, meet completion dates, define, and ensure consistent application of organizational policies.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
The Vice President of Operations will plan, direct, execute, and oversee multi-site operations activities in the organization, ensuring the development and implementation of efficient operations and cost-effective systems to meet the current and future needs of the organization.
- Manage production efficiencies through cost-effective management of procurement, production planning, inventory management, labor, and resources.
- Ensure efficient operation of all manufacturing facilities in both a union and non-union environment, by evaluating each facility’s cost, quality, and service level performance. Drive overall improvement and growth strategies at multiple facilities.
- Complete all performance evaluations for direct reports in a timely manner and monitor hourly production evaluation process by defining expected results.
- Monitor the financial reports, direct changes, and process improvements to ensure profitability of the business.
- Prepare and manage capital project budgets for cost reduction, quality improvement, and production expansion at existing facilities, or at new facilities as may be required to support business objectives.
- Continue to analyze and refine MRP and supporting systems.
- Ensure overall accountability for a safe and injury-free work environment through reinforcement of Health, Safety, Environmental standards policy in the plant as well as compliance with applicable internal and external regulations. Direct regular safety audits and review the effectiveness of programs and processes while providing thorough training for all employees.
- 10+ years manufacturing experience; automotive or high-volume production environment highly preferred.
- 7+ years responsibility of managing multi-site manufacturing environments.
- Relationship driven with excellent communication skills; internally and externally.
- Experience applying Lean, Six Sigma or 5S principles in manufacturing and plant operations.
- Strong production systems knowledge and expertise.
- Excellent financial knowledge and P/L responsibility experience.
- Calm demeanor with a “roll-up-your-sleeves” management style.
- Solutions oriented with a figure-it-out and own it mentality – to resolve complex issues.
- Working knowledge of ERP operating systems.
- Detail oriented with ability to prioritize and act with a sense of urgency.
- Travel required is 15 – 20%.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and/or related field.
- MBA highly preferred.