Our client is a third generation privately held full-service production manufacturer specializing in machining and assembly of standardized mechanical components. Founded over 50 years ago, our client has built a strong position in their marketplace focused on their commitment and dedication to customer service, quality, and product availability. Twenty-five (25) CNC production bar lathes make up the largest department in their machine shop. Other manufacturing capabilities include grinding, thread rolling, gun drilling, specialized manual production equipment and several types of small assembly presses. Developing highly productive manufacturing processes for semi-finished or component parts has enabled them to offer abundant product variety, quickly and at lower costs. Our client is passionate about developing their manufacturing capabilities and building management processes which are highly productive for the niche they serve, which include selling to industrial distributors, manufacturing, and automation OEM’s.
Our client seeks an experienced operations leader that will play an integral part in building foundational structure within the organization to support process reliability for future growth and expansion in standardized product development and production manufacturing capabilities. They will guide the company’s transformation by taking a hands-on role in implementing major manufacturing automation investments. The Director of Manufacturing will be responsible for the management and day-to-day operations of the company. The successful candidate must have a stellar work ethic, engineering mind and be extremely hands-on; possessing the ability to integrate & manage cross functional teams. An ideal background will be weighted heavily in manufacturing operations and process engineering for medium volume repetitive manufacturing, machining, assembly and/or precision engineering industries. This is a family-based culture, with strong emphasis on hard-work, productivity, systematic processes, integrity, and honesty. The Director of Manufacturing will be the face of the organization internally. The successful candidate will be a take-charge, high-energy leader who is capable of creating and managing operational processes and teams to ensure this organization’s continued success and growth for many years to come.
This position reports to the President/Owner and has four (4) direct reports.
- Organize and manage the resources of the company to get things done, while using them effectively and efficiently. Set clear expectations, design practical processes and procedures that ensure accountability through a workable performance management system.
- Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality, with a track record of creating successful organizations without the resources and reputation of a large entity.
- Proven track record of leading and setting a course when there is no roadmap and much ambiguity.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Passionate about coaching and training the operations team. Effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people to promote a positive “get-it-done” culture.
- Lead by example; plans, directs, and manages the entire operation, ensuring the development and implementation of efficient operational processes to meet current and future business requirements.
- Establish and implement short and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures for the entire operations team.
- Create and implement initiatives that drive optimization and improvements in the performance of the overall operations input, throughputs and outputs; focused production planning, scheduling, and execution.
- Provide direction, development, and leadership for all operational departments; ensure team members role and responsibilities are clear and understood.
- Develop an operational strategy and underlying objectives; define the production schedule and through-put for the shopfloor.
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of ERP system information.
- Energize and engage employees through their managers by ensuring they understand and can execute on the operational fulfillment goals.
- Must be able to communicate job expectations internally; plan, monitor, appraise, and review job contributions; plan and review compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Monitor and follow-up on project/departmental performance to ensure that progress is being made.
- Encourage open communication at all levels within the company.
- Maintain effective communication with internal and external business operations to solve problems in an efficient and effective manner.
- Set and follow-up on operational and / or performance goals for each department which are aggressive, achievable, and tied to long-term goals.
- Maintain an operational atmosphere of accountability.
- The company highly values productivity. Establish a system around performance indicators for all positions within the company.
- Ability to manage a high quality, efficient and cost-effective operation.
- Take charge in high-priority crises; creative problem solving.
- Ensure all department heads are fully informed of operational objectives.
- Conduct regular meetings with department heads to ensure that priorities are clear and coordination is good.
- Solve any inter departmental issues that arise before any problems hamper the daily operations. Facilitate conflict resolution to ensure objective fulfillment and swift response to job site problems and opportunities.
- Devise and implement operating procedures/controls to improve the efficiency of the overall operation.
- Ensure the operations team has the necessary resources to effectively meet short and long-term goals.
- Establish and adjust organizational structure so that it supports the business’s objectives.
- As the key point (face) of management to employees, have good relations and represent management with encouragement and professionalism.
- A strong understanding and experience with standard cost accounting is highly preferred.
- Twenty+ years of senior management experience including running an organization from the shopfloor.
- Proven track record as Director of Manufacturing, Plant Manager/ General Manager.
- Strong work ethic; e.g., “roll-up your sleeves” leader; a proactive team leader with a proven “take-charge” record of accomplishment.
- A positive thinker, enthusiastic, optimistic team player with a contagious desire that inspires the team toward shared goals and purpose.
- Strongly demonstrated leadership and communication skills involving employees, customers, peers, and suppliers.
- Highly focused, organized, and analytical thinker who is used to substantial autonomy while ensuring that the owner is dialed in.
- Must be articulate, resourceful, and focused. One who exhibits patience, perseverance, and persuasiveness.
- Must have the ability to work within a relaxed, fluid, and fun culture.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering, finance, or management required. MBA highly preferred; or equivalent experience.