Our client is a premier Michigan-based litigation law firm with a national presence and a successful history of handling complex, dynamic trial-court and appellate matters, both nationally and internationally. It has provided highly effective and innovative counsel to hundreds of clients in dozens of industries. A firm proud of its successful record of achievement and distinct competitive advantage, it continues to be recognized at the forefront of the legal profession. Truly valuing client relationships, the firm’s accumulated intellectual prowess, service, quality, integrity, and dedication make it esteemed for its consistency of exemplary legal counsel and high-integrity client relationships.
Our client is looking to add to their team of exceptional talent. A newly created role, the Recruiting/Human Resource Manager will lead the firm’s growing recruitment efforts for attorneys, paralegals, and other staff. Collaboratively, working with the marketing department, they will be the face of the firm to potential candidates, the community, and the public. In addition, they will support human resource initiatives and activities including but not limited to diversity, equality and inclusion activities, onboarding, building out their summer recruitment program and associate development programs. This is an opportunity to work with fun, relatable, good people, doing good work at a national level.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
The Recruiting/Human Resource Manager will manage the in-house, full life cycle of the recruiting process to facilitate the hiring of qualified candidates, assist with human resource activities and partner with the marketing department on diversity initiatives. This position will be responsible for the design, development, and implementation of a streamlined recruiting process. The Recruiting/Human Resource Manager will be the “face” of the firm to showcase its competitive advantage and culture. The successful candidate will have a professional, dynamic, and engaging personality with a roll up your sleeves attitude.
- Work with management-team attorneys and CFO to assess, project and determine hiring needs.
- Responsible for HR functions including but not limited to recruiting and hiring, onboarding new employees, employee retention, compensation planning, administration tasks/record keeping, documentation of role descriptions, employee engagement activities and the development and tracking of HR annual budgets.
- Provide an employee-oriented high-performance culture that emphasizes integrity, teamwork, ownership, and drive.
- Develop and lead a recruitment strategy that provides a human resource function that meets the firm’s growth plans in the immediate and long term while maintaining the firm’s culture.
- Develop and implement a talent management system and strategy to assure that the firm attracts, retains, and develops its employees to achieve growth objectives with a pipeline of qualified talent, resources, and institutional relationships.
- Find, hire, and retain high-quality talent that fits the culture of the firm.
- Build candidate search opportunities through multiple channels including law schools, networking groups and service organizations.
- Plan ongoing recruiting events at law schools to attract high potential leaders.
- Maximize outreach methods to job seekers, such as social media, LinkedIn, job fairs, job boards, seeking referrals, and cold calling.
- Write job descriptions for the firm’s website and hiring boards.
- Research potential candidates.
- Organize all recruitment data and maintain diversity information.
- Review applicant resumes and information and schedule interviews. Conduct initial interviews for administrative staff positions. Finding “the best of the best.”
- Develop and manage the summer associate program.
- Manage associates’ development program ensuring they have the resources, training and education they need to grow their careers.
- Conduct onboarding for new hires.
- Take lead with third-party recruiting agencies to develop a preferred partnership agreement, grow the relationships and manage all activities.
- Keep firm informed on candidate market and recruiting-related issues.
- Act as a liaison with the community.
- Work with marketing to promote a positive internal and public image of the firm.
- Collaborate with the Diversity Coordinator on initiatives and activities.
- Keep employee handbook up to date.
- Assist with benefits administration.
- Five years’ experience in talent acquisition/recruiting for professional service firms, preferably law firms.
- Experience with human resource activities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills with the ability to present views in a clear and compelling manner and develop trust and influence as a thought leader with a broad relationship base.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- High energy, reliable and resourceful with the capability to quickly take control of responsibilities and establish himself/herself as a credible strategic business partner.
- The ideal candidate MUST have an entrepreneurial flair, a passion for tactical business execution and thrive in an action-packed growth-fueled atmosphere.
- Roll up your sleeves hands-on manager, focused on collaboration and alignment.
- Must be resourceful and creative, possessing the ability to work with patience, perseverance, and persuasiveness.
- Ability to plan and execute activities using sound judgment and good time management.
- Proven ability to interact with and influence all levels of an organization with an open, honest, and respectful communication style tailored to the audience.
- Willingness to be transparent, share ideas and communicate openly.
- Ability to be proactive in anticipating needs and bringing new ideas to the firm.
- Absolute integrity and discretion, while maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
- Requires approximately 10% travel.
- A sense of humor.