Our client is a multi-billion-dollar globally diversified company that designs and manufactures various engineered components and products. Their growing automotive business unit, which exceeds one billion dollars in sales, is comprised of four main product segments with operations on three continents. Their customers include OEM and Tier 1 automotive companies. The company continues to experience growth in a rapidly changing environment as a leading manufacturer of specialize comfort components.
The Technical Sales Engineer is responsible for the planning, development and execution of the strategy to profitably grow the product area for the company. He/She will be responsible growing the North American automotive customer base and should understand the global footprint. The Technical Sales Engineer will assist in enhancing and implementing pursuit strategy, as well as refine a budget for product revenue growth. He/she will identify unique value propositions and position company as a lead solutions provider in areas consistent with future growth portfolio objectives. This individual must have strong written and communication skills, as well as excellent customer relations skills.
This position reports to the: Vice President of Marketing & Strategy
The ideal candidate must have a proven background creating & driving product line solution at the OEM level. The successful candidate must be an expert in creating solutions within a highly engineered/technical product mix at the OEM level. He/she should develop, maintain and leverage relationships within the engineering function to secure business at the prototype stage. He/she will be one of the “faces” of the company, experienced in communicating with the customer at all levels; including C-suite and top engineering and purchasing executives. This candidate will align, embrace and embody the values of the company; Communication, Continuous Improvement, High Expectations, Accountability, Speed, Quality, Teamwork and Integrity.
This position will develop, implement and execute aggressive but realistic annual sales plans targeted to increase market share.
- Develop, grow and maintain successful customer relationships with assigned OEM’s and Tier-1 customers within North America; partnering with customers to provide technical, product and business solutions to their unmet needs.
- Direct, coordinate, and exercise functional authority for the planning, organization, budget, integration and completion of product projects.
- Prioritize the specific OEM development opportunities tied with potential business obtainment, refinement of a budget and estimated future capital requirement.
- Support sales team with initial business case development on new products where a manufacturing division has not yet been fully determined or engaged.
- Support the development of product roadmaps matching internal innovation pipeline with customer technology prospects.
- Interface with the sales team to assess and guide the logical / strategic placement of new business opportunities within existing manufacturing divisions based on factors such as open capacity, ROI, and probability of attainment.
- Perform technical and commercial analysis of relevant material, process inventions and enhancements, in areas of material, process development, and manufacturing.
- Develop and maintain open lines of communication with the operations, production, engineering, supply chain, purchasing, sales, customers and suppliers.
- Provide critical feedback to internal teams/stakeholders as to technical solutions that should be considered within the product development strategy to support market growth.
- Drive and manage communications and relationships with customers’ technical community.
- Provide industry and market insights on various market segments to support the development of the product portfolio.
- Identify, monitor, and communicate key trends across the market and industry including working knowledge of the competitive landscape.
- Develop business cases for partnerships and collaboration with customer outlining opportunities for growth and enhancing overall business efficiency.
- Assess the development of annual business plan including, manpower, budget and capital expense.
- Responsible to manage the product portfolio roadmap to ensure technology needs are identified and executed to meet business plan objectives.
- Identifies new material technologies that are being developed by the supply base. Supports the business unit’s R&D on internal material development activities to aid their progress and help bring the new technology to commercial programs.
- Support development of business cases for technology partnerships and collaborations including M&A, JV etc.
- Works closely with corporate and divisional management and business personnel to identify the need for and marketability of new products, processes and technology.
- Provide regular feedback to internal stakeholders as to technical solutions and other critical issues that should be considered within our product development strategies to support market growth.
- Review product designs to ensure compliance with engineering principles, company standards and customer requirements and specifications.
- Lead initiatives for continuous product improvement and innovation objectives.
- Direct the coordination of customer, manufacturing and vendor product development activities.
- Identify and report any problems related to the product, process and quality system.
- 10 years’ experience in the Automotive industry in a technical customer-facing role.
- 5+ years of experience in materials engineering and/or product development.
- Must have a network of contacts at every OEM and Tier-1 supplier that the business unit currently does significant business with.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and manage engineering teams within the automotive industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to conduct work-shop events while promoting innovation and continuous improvement.
- Strong customer relations skills.
- In understanding the automotive manufacturing processes and capabilities, specifically interiors components and/or other highly engineered products.
- Must be a “hands-on” team player who will thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated high credibility with senior leadership.
- Must work effectively across borders, geographies, cultures and organizations.
- Ability to travel internationally; approximately 25% is required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
• MBA highly preferred.