Our client is a multi-billion-dollar globally diversified company that designs and manufactures various engineered components and products. Their growing automotive business unit, which exceeds one billion dollars in sales, is comprised of four main product segments with operations on three continents. Their customers include OEM and Tier 1 automotive companies. The company continues to experience growth in a rapidly changing environment as a leading manufacturer of specialize comfort components.
The Technical Sales Engineer is responsible for the planning, development and execution of the OEM and Tier-1 customer acquisition strategy to profitably grow the business for the company. He/She will be responsible growing the North American automotive customer base within the global business context. The Technical Sales Engineer will assist in enhancing and implementing pursuit strategy, as well as refine a budget for product revenue growth. He/she will identify unique value propositions and position company as a lead solutions provider in areas consistent with future growth portfolio objectives. This individual must have strong written and communication skills, as well as excellent customer relations skills.
This position reports to the: Vice President of Marketing & Strategy
The successful candidate must be an expert in creating solutions within a highly engineered/technical product mix at the OEM level. He/she should develop, maintain and leverage relationships within the engineering function to secure business at the pre-RFQ stage. He/she will be one of the “faces” of the company, experienced in communicating with the customer at all levels; including C-suite and top engineering and purchasing executives. This candidate will align, embrace and embody the values of the company; Communication, Continuous Improvement, High Expectations, Accountability, Speed, Quality, Teamwork and Integrity.
You will identify unique value propositions and position the company as the lead technology provider in the areas consistent with our future portfolio and convenience products.
- Develop, grow and maintain successful customer relationships with OEM and Tier-1 customers within North America, understand customer DNA and decision-making process and provide information to internal organization.
- Drive identification of technological growth areas and white spots as key element of sales growth strategy.
- Proactively identify, monitor, and communicate key technology trends across the market and industry and competitive landscape, lead technology scouting.
- Drive and manage proactive communications and relationships with customers’ technical community with special focus on pre-RFQ activities for new product development.
- Partner with customers on technical, product and business solutions including organization of tech days, innovation roundtables & technology reviews.
- Lead business development activities with new and existing customers together with marketing.
- Facilitate the decision making on the development of innovative product and technology solutions for future growth, support the development of innovation management.
- Support development of customer and go-to-market strategies. Assist development of business cases on key innovations with knowledge and insights on market and customer innovation pipeline.
- Support the development of product roadmaps matching internal innovation pipeline with customer technology prospects.
- Support competitor product & technology benchmarking.
- Provide regular feedback to internal stakeholders for technical solutions and other critical issues that should be considered within the product development strategies to support market growth.
- Develop and maintain open lines of communication with the operations, production, engineering, supply chain, purchasing, sales, customers and suppliers.
- Assess the development of annual business plan including, manpower, budget and capital expense.
- Identifies new material technologies that are being developed by the supply base. Supports the business unit’s R&D on internal material development activities to aid their progress and help bring the new technology to commercial programs.
- Support development of business cases for technology partnerships and collaborations including M&A, JV etc.
- Works closely with corporate and divisional management and business personnel to identify the need for and marketability of new products, processes and technology.
- Review product designs to ensure compliance with engineering principles, company standards and customer requirements and specifications.
- Lead initiatives for continuous product improvement and innovation objectives.
- Identify and report any problems related to the product, process and quality system.
- 10 years’ experience in the Automotive industry in a technical customer-facing role.
- Must have a network of contacts at every OEM and Tier-1 supplier that the business unit currently does significant business with.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and manage engineering teams within the automotive industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong customer relations skills.
- In understanding the automotive manufacturing processes and capabilities, specifically interiors components and/or other highly engineered products.
- Must be a “hands-on” team player who will thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated high credibility with senior leadership.
- Must work effectively across borders, geographies, cultures and organizations.
- Ability to travel internationally; approximately 25% is required.
- Strong commercial acumen, ability to recognize ongoing disruptive technologies.
- Ability to listen and understand the technical needs of the customer and translate into solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- MBA highly preferred