Founded on strong values, our client is a successful and growing specialty trade contractor, committed to doing the right things in the right way. Our client brings over 25+ year’s experience dedicated to building strong relationships and providing excellent service in both commercial, industrial, and high-end residential construction and services.
Planning and preparing for future growth, the VP of Field Operations, a member of the Leadership Team, will be responsible for the leadership and execution of all day-to-day operations and management of projects. Responsibilities will be broad. This role will provide leadership in establishing and improving efficiencies, processes, and procedures within the organization. This position will instill a sense of empowerment and accountability amongst the team and help to develop a cohesive team capable of exceeding customer expectations with excellent work that is on time and on budget. This is an opportunity to help shape the future of the company and the autonomy to do it.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer with (6) six direct reports and 10 foremen.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience within the trades industries. He or she will have experience in creating and implementing operational processes that lead to optimum efficiencies. Relentlessly prepared, this individual will be passionate about coaching and training the team and effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people and promote an engaged culture. The successful candidate will have a sense of urgency, exhibit a hands-on approach to operations management and will be highly organized, passionate and integrous.
The VP of Field Operations will value and appreciate people. Possessing a diplomatic approach, this individual will help create a culture based on respect and empowerment and will lead and manage a team resulting in accountability. A clear and open communicator effective at interacting with people at all levels of the organization, this person will lead by example with a humble roll up your sleeves demeanor. The VP of Field Operations will contribute to the growth of the company by developing and maintaining professional and cooperative customer and employee relationships by setting the tone and reflecting a positive and engaging culture. This individual will be the “glue” keeping everyone together. This will be accomplished by effectively leading others and having a full and complete understanding of all company policies, procedures, and best practices.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
• Serve as the company’s representative with customers and contractors.
• Supervise and monitor job responsibilities of Project Managers and Superintendents.
• Communicate with each Project Manager and Superintendent to verify and monitor the progress on each contract to effectively ensure all projects are completed on schedule and within budget expectations.
• Responsible to work with Project Managers and Superintendents to identify projects that are under performing and implement corrective measures to resolve issues.
• Ability to provide support for Project Managers and Superintendents who are placing staff, scheduling equipment, and determining when to ramp up or scale down projects.
• Interact regularly with customers to strengthen the relationship, report results, and identify new opportunities for providing value added services.
• Drive client delivery to ensure that solutions are aligned with business objectives, regulatory expectations, and industry practices.
• Define and manage a production schedule and verify and monitor the progress on each contract.
• Collaborate with the Leadership Team to develop long term strategy and implement processes to help achieve it.
• Responsible for the Safety and Risk Management Program; continuous improvement and development according to or better than best practices.
• Ensure day-to-day operations are conducted in compliance with safety, regulatory and legal requirements, and company policies.
• Oversee production and results, continually seeking opportunities for improved efficiency and streamlined processes.
• Direct the development of processes and procedures to construct projects safely and effectively
• Develop and present the organization’s project, capital, and operating expense budgets for all construction functions.
• Identify cost reduction opportunities for analysis and implementation.
• Lead analysis of construction cost performance against budget.
• Identify, develop, and build relationships with 3rd party service providers.
• Develop comprehensive procedures for reporting, information flow and management, business processes and organizational planning.
• Create key performance indicators (KPI’s) that maintain and maximize the overall effectiveness of the total operation.
• Must be able to clearly communicate job expectations as well as plan, monitor, appraise, and review job performance while enforcing policies and procedures.
Minimum of 10 years of experience in trade industries, with at least 5 years of senior management experience managing multiple project teams.
• Must have extensive job site experience and knowledge of construction site chain of command.
• Must understand P/L and budgeting with the ability to read and interpret blueprints/CAD drawings.
• Familiar with OSHA construction standards and construction technology.
• Ability to manage and deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
• Conceptual thinker and strong problem solver committed to excellence.
• Proven ability to demonstrate the highest integrity professionally and personally.
• High emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills that allow for comfortable interaction with the operations teams, company peers and senior management.
• Collaborative, team spirit is an essential requirement of this role.
• Proactive operations experience with a proven “take-charge” record of accomplishment.
• Proven ability to motivate and lead teams by example. Displaying stamina, energy and commitment to personal growth and development for self and others.
• Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality with a track record of creating successful organizations.
• Overachiever who is dedicated, passionate, fun, and always prepared. Good sense of humor.
• Tech savvy, methodical and able to manage multiple priorities, stress, and deadlines.
• Comfortable with professional conflict. Highly organized with a strong work ethic, e.g. “roll-up-your-sleeves leader.
• Ability to travel to job site locations as needed (approximately 20-30% of time).
• Bachelor’s degree is desired, preferably in Construction Management