Confidential – Aerospace Manufacturing
Our client is seeking an experienced Vice President of Operations who will play an integral part in moving the company forward. As the company’s business is growing quickly, they look to the VP of Ops for the development and implementation of operational strategies that exceed customer expectations and achieve the company’s goals and objectives. This position will work with the executive management team to align operational performance, through-put and out-puts with the goal of doubling revenues within the next ten years. He or she is responsible for enhanced corporate profitability through the attainment of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and other initiatives.
This position reports to the: Chief Executive Officer and has Four (4+) direct reports including: Manufacturing Manager; Materials Scheduling & Planning Manager; Quality Manager and Maintenance Manager.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and proven operations leader with responsibility for the day-to-day operations of this business unit. This leader must be highly knowledgeable in low-volume custom manufacturing and /or precision engineering industries and an expert in optimizing manufacturing processes. The candidate must have a thick-skin, and be calm and unflappable when managing their teams. The successful candidate will be a take-charge, high energy leader who is capable of creating and managing operational processes and holding their teams accountable to established goals.
• Will work closely with executive management team to establish long-range operating goals; The ideal candidate must be focused on the tactical execution of strategy, moving this business unit forward, as well as an experienced leader skilled at establishing, evaluating and motivating a cross functional team.
• Ensures that, as the company grows, its processes and capabilities meet or exceed all customer expectations for cost, quality, delivery and responsiveness.
• Directs the development of both short- and long-term objectives, policies, budgets and operating plans for the plant. Will manage the financial performance of all operations towards the successful achievement of the annual budget and profit plan.
• Establishes operating policies and procedures aligned with the company’s objectives and ensures they are followed and executed on.
• Routinely and systematically evaluates overall operational results and reports these results to the executive team.
• Organize and manage the resources of the plant to get things done and set clear expectations, design practical processes and procedures that ensure accountability through a workable performance management system.
• Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality, with a track record of creating highly efficient operations.
• Works with Human Resources to hire, train and evaluate Operations & Plant personnel; Proven ability to select, lead, and support the development of people.
• Will be an approachable leader who understands the value of teamwork and will motivate the team to maximum productivity and overall operational performance.
• Work with vendors and be skilled in establishing and managing supplier relationships and performance.
Leadership and Management:
• Passionate about coaching and training the operations team. Effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people to promote a positive “get-it-done” culture.
• In conjunction with plant management teams set operational performance objectives for each department which are achievable and tied to long-term goals and continuous improvement that enhance plant through-put, quality, customer expectation and maximize company profitability.
• Train and monitor the team’s utilization of established systems and processes to track and optimize productivity and standards, metrics and performance targets to ensure effective return on assets.
• Develop and implement processes, procedures, and metrics that drive accountability; Define and communicate the responsibilities, lines of authority and accountability of all direct team members to ensure all are in agreement and understanding; Provides consistent, on-going, comprehensive communications including but not limited to goal attainment, continuous improvement initiatives, customer satisfaction, and overall company performance.
• Responsible for short- and long-term strategies, planning, budgets, expense control and formulating goals.
• Identifies risk and opportunity and initiates prompt corrective action when necessary to assure successful through-put and delivery of final product.
• Ability to create Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) to maintain and maximize the overall operations.
• Acts as the safety champion for the organization to drive to the goal of zero injuries. Personally, involved in safety related activities and holds staff and employees accountable for related actions.
· 15-20 years of experience in increasingly complex management positions within aerospace or precision engineering industries, at least 10 years of direct plant leadership experience.
· Broad knowledge of quality systems including, ISO, continuous improvement, Kaizen, 5-S, lean manufacturing, KANBAN, etc.
· Proven track record as Vice President of Operations, President or Vice President/General Manager.
· A seasoned executive with proven ability to select, lead and support the development of people. Easily recognized by employees as an approachable “leader” who understands the value of teamwork to increase productivity and overall operational performance.
· The ideal candidate will have a passion for operations and thrive on an action packed growth fueled atmosphere.
· A positive thinker, enthusiastic, optimistic team player with contagious desire that inspires the team toward shared goals and purpose.
· Must be resourceful and creative, possessing the ability to work with patience, perseverance, and persuasiveness.
· Strong project management and organizational skills; Proven experience interpreting program results and customer expectations.
· Strong work ethic; e.g. “roll-up your sleeves” leader; a proactive team leader with a proven “take-charge” record of accomplishment.
· Labor Relations; As the key point (face) of management to employees, have good relations and represent management with encouragement and professionalism.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business is required.
• MBA or M.E. is highly preferred.